[-]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Halo 4: Out of Requiem (Tutorial)
11-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Halo 4: Out of Requiem (Tutorial)
Hey there. Made a quick tutorial for an "out of map" on Requiem in the Halo 4 Campaign.

I suppose this contains a tiny, tiny amount of spoilers (if you've seen any trailers for H4, nothing is spoiled), so just a warning if you're trying to stay completely unspoiled.

Also, it's a voice tutorial, so if you hate those, probably avoid this.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2012, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2012 10:59 AM by Grumpy.)
RE: Halo 4: Out of Requiem (Tutorial)
Ah, monetized eh? Good for you. Does anyone ever actually get paid?
11-06-2012, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2012 12:19 PM by GTIH.)
(11-06-2012 10:58 AM)Grumpy Wrote:  Ah, monetized eh? Good for you. Does anyone ever actually get paid?

Did it run an annoying ad (unskippable, 15sec+)? I try to keep shorter vids as low-key as possible, but our networks kind of enforces the ad-types shown. Sorry if they occasionally end up a bit obnoxious.

The short answer: Yes.

The long answer: We're 2 months into the channel, grossed about $60 thus far, but everything's a bit skewed at the moment (new HD capture cards, headsets, games, and mspoints have been distributed to everyone involved (just sent out Monopoli's package yesterday), so we're a bit in the hole at the moment.

Payments are on a 1 month delay, so we've only just received September's; October's payment will be about $250, and we're hoping that Halo 4 will lead to good things throughout November.

We're kind of in a learning/testing period with the channel as of now, and it's kind of a community/volunteer effort. Anyone is able to make a video for the channel, and they receive all revenue from any videos that they make (minus a small cut depending on if someone else has to take care of the editing, or if extended maintaining of the content is required).

[a simple example is in regards to this video in particular: The 'idea' of this video is from Anakade. He did the whole 'figuring it out' portion, and sent me a transcript, tutorial, and short/raw clip of it being done. I went back and reproduced the trick, filmed, edited, and created the video in it's entirety (his request). Since the content of the video is his creation, he will receive the revenue generated from it. However, since I physically created the video, commentary, editing, etc, I will take either an ongoing percentage, or single sum once a reserve is met (the details of which have been previously negotiated).]

We're hoping this method works, and will keep the people contributing interested in it, while still maintaining consistent growth of the channel. The idea being that someone, like Monopoli, can make a video (speedrun, tutorial, random dicking around, whatever), and his efforts will directly influence his earnings from it, so he's inclined to promote his stuff and continue making cool stuff. If he makes consistent, quality content, and the channel benefits from it, then everyone else has an automatic benefit as well (which in theory should return back to Monopoli from someone else's efforts.)

It's kind of a mess in the sorting/data end of things, but the main thing is to make it worthwhile for everyone else.

I don't know if I explained that very well, but maybe it's understandable. I also don't know you guys' personal stance on the idea of monetizing this sort of content, but I'd like to hear your opinions if you'd like to share.

I know you didn't ask, but I figured I'd kind of make my case for why the format is what it is (very random in topics (switching from playthrough, single random clips, tutorials, etc), and I kind of felt like I came across as a kind of douchey "I post my vids to make money" tone at the beginning, so I also wanted to elaborate on how that's all sorted out.
11-06-2012, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2012 06:44 PM by Chappified.)
Ah, pretty cool. Makes me want to get out of War Games and get into the H4 tricking business.

You know, I could post this at Jumprs if you want? It would get a lot more views that are well deserved.
11-06-2012, 07:55 PM
(11-06-2012 06:43 PM)Chappified Wrote:  You know, I could post this at Jumprs if you want? It would get a lot more views that are well deserved.

Sure, that'd be awesome!
11-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Front paged on HBO. Good job GTIH!
11-08-2012, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2012 01:47 AM by GTIH.)
(11-07-2012 08:36 PM)Chappified Wrote:  Front paged on HBO. Good job GTIH!

Wait wha-oh shit, that's awesome! Thanks Chappified!

EDIT: Going to piggyback another video in this thread.

A slightly less exciting Out of Map, but has a neat little loadzone thing, and has a much more 'classic' out of map feel (climbing rockwalls, avoiding false-floors, etc)

11-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Awesome on both vids mainly because they are tuts and I'll use them when I can get my 360 fixed.

Also, don't take this personally but your tutorial voice cracks me up. I've noticed on other vids you've done that as you are doing the intro you sound natural and as soon as you are into the tut mode, you sound computer generated. It's not outlandish by any means and I enjoy your tut descriptions but every once in a while I have to flash that it's not computer generated.

You may very well want it that way, idk, just sharing what popped into my head. Like I said, it's barely noticeable or maybe it's just me.
11-09-2012, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2012 04:04 PM by Mator.)
@grumps:

If those ads on YouTube videos bug you (they bug everyone, so they should bug you) you should get Ad Block Plus. It's a non-intrusive add-on for Firefox/Google Chrome which blocks ads from appearing. Only on the rarest of occasions does it disable non-ad content on a page (you probably will never see it happening). Using it will make the ads that play before YouTube videos never appear = win.

Very handy, very cool, totally legit. I've been using it for years now. It's the best.
11-10-2012, 05:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 05:12 AM by GTIH.)
(11-09-2012 04:03 PM)Mator Wrote:  If those ads on YouTube videos bug you (they bug everyone, so they should bug you) you should get Ad Block Plus. It's a non-intrusive add-on for Firefox/Google Chrome which blocks ads from appearing. Only on the rarest of occasions does it disable non-ad content on a page (you probably will never see it happening). Using it will make the ads that play before YouTube videos never appear = win.

Very handy, very cool, totally legit. I've been using it for years now. It's the best.

AdBlock is kind of a huge kick in the dick for content creators. *shrugs*

(11-09-2012 03:41 PM)Grumpy Wrote:  Also, don't take this personally but your tutorial voice cracks me up. I've noticed on other vids you've done that as you are doing the intro you sound natural and as soon as you are into the tut mode, you sound computer generated. It's not outlandish by any means and I enjoy your tut descriptions but every once in a while I have to flash that it's not computer generated.

Could you elaborate a little bit more? I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean exactly. If you have any ideas on what I could do to improve, I'd love to hear them (I'm only about a month into commentating, so it's still a WIP, and any input that helps me improve is appreciated!)

Also, if you (or anyone else) hates my voice, I'd refer you to Sae's channel (TricksAndGlitches), aside from his own stuff, and other submissions, any video I make will eventually go onto his channel in a long-form, no comm variant. My style is "get out all the important info as quick as possible, with no fluff", while his is more documentation/exploration focused, so that might appeal to you more.
11-10-2012, 11:07 AM
(11-10-2012 05:08 AM)GTIH Wrote:  
(11-09-2012 04:03 PM)Mator Wrote:  If those ads on YouTube videos bug you (they bug everyone, so they should bug you) you should get Ad Block Plus. It's a non-intrusive add-on for Firefox/Google Chrome which blocks ads from appearing. Only on the rarest of occasions does it disable non-ad content on a page (you probably will never see it happening). Using it will make the ads that play before YouTube videos never appear = win.

AdBlock is kind of a huge kick in the dick for content creators. *shrugs*

(11-09-2012 03:41 PM)Grumpy Wrote:  Also, don't take this personally but your tutorial voice cracks me up. I've noticed on other vids you've done that as you are doing the intro you sound natural and as soon as you are into the tut mode, you sound computer generated. It's not outlandish by any means and I enjoy your tut descriptions but every once in a while I have to flash that it's not computer generated.

Could you elaborate a little bit more? I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean exactly. If you have any ideas on what I could do to improve, I'd love to hear them (I'm only about a month into commentating, so it's still a WIP, and any input that helps me improve is appreciated!)

Also, if you (or anyone else) hates my voice, I'd refer you to Sae's channel (TricksAndGlitches), aside from his own stuff, and other submissions, any video I make will eventually go onto his channel in a long-form, no comm variant. My style is "get out all the important info as quick as possible, with no fluff", while his is more documentation/exploration focused, so that might appeal to you more.
I shouldn't have said anything, it's not a big deal, hardly noticeable and I don't dislike it. No-fluff works fine for me, you sound a lot better than I would.